How to Use Your Windshield Wiper Controls
Difficulty Level: Novice | Time Required: 2 minutes
Learn how to operate your windshield wipers and washer. Also covered are instructions for Rainsense. If equipped, Rainsense is an available feature that detects the amount of water on the windshield to automatically control wiper speed.
Windshield Wiper Settings
- HI — Fast wipes: Push the wiper lever up to the third detent.
- LO — Slow wipes: Push the wiper lever up to the second detent.
- INT — Intermittent wipes (or Rainsense wipes, if equipped):
o Push the wiper lever up to the first detent.
o Rotate the intermittent band to adjust intermittent wiper speed.
o If your vehicle has Rainsense, this setting will be labelled AUTO (see below).
- OFF — Turns wipers off.
- 1x — Single wipe: Pull the lever down. If you hold the lever down, the wipers will keep wiping for up to 12 seconds and then stop.
Windshield Washer Spray
Activating the washer spray depends on the vehicle model. Check your Owner’s Manual for specifics. Common options include:
- Pull the wiper toward you.
- Push the tab at the end of the lever.
- Move the windshield wiper lever to AUTO. The Driver Information Center will display that Rainsense is enabled.
- Turn the Rainsense sensitivity band UP for more sensitivity to moisture.
- Turn the Rainsense sensitivity band DOWN for less sensitivity to moisture.
- Move the lever out of AUTO to cancel Rainsense.
Note: When the vehicle is in NEUTRAL, Rainsense automatically disables itself to prevent the wipers from activating in an automatic car wash.
Related Links and Resources
Looking for something else?
Need more help?
Communicate with one of our specialists.
To find out if your vehicle has this feature, contact your dealer or refer to your vehicle’s equipment list. Please check your Owner's Manual for more information about features.